Maintaining the beauty of your new wood or composite floor is as simple as sweeping with a soft bristle broom and vacuuming with a soft floor attachment if your floor includes an edge or groove that could collect debris. To make sure your floors retain their original shine and luster, you should clean your floors periodically with a professional-grade floor cleaning product designed for your type of floor, available from any Curtis Lumber store.
To maintain the beauty and minimize the maintenance of your new wood or laminate floor follow these simple tips:
- Use only cleaning products that are meant to be used on your type of flooring. While Murphy’s Oil Soap works well for certain applications, using it on your flooring will dull the finish and make it slippery. Refer to the instructions that were included with your flooring for the proper cleaner, or stop by your local Curtis Lumber.
- Prevent grit, dirt, and other debris from being tracked onto your floors by placing throw rugs inside and outside of doorways. This will prevent scratching and absorb excess moisture to extend the life of the floor.
- Do not wet-mop a wood or laminate floor. Standing water can dull the finish and warp or damage the floor.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, steel wool, or scouring powder which can scratch your floor’s finish.
- All spills should be wiped up immediately using a slightly dampened towel.
- Place felt or soft material glides under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching. The heavier the item, the wider the floor protector should be.
- Avoid walking on your wood floors with cleats, sports shoes, and high heels. This can dent any floor surface.
- When moving heavy furniture, do not slide it along the floor. It is best to pick it up and move it.
- In the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the sink.
- In rooms that become damp or dry, use a dehumidifier or humidifier throughout the year to keep movement to a minimum.
Be sure to consult with the manufacturer’s recommendations to ensure optimal maintenance.
A Lifetime of Beauty
No matter your maintenance concern, be sure to stop in or call your local Curtis Lumber for troubleshooting help. Our experienced salespeople will effortlessly guide you through the maintenance process to be sure your floors’ beauty and functionality last a lifetime.