Measuring for new exterior door is easy. To determine the size of door you will need, follow these simple steps:
1. Remove the trim/casing to expose the bare studs.
2. Measure the width of the opening (stud to stud) in 3 places, the top, middle, and bottom and record the smallest measurement.
3. Remove the casing from the top of the door if you haven’t done so already. Measure from the base of the header to the floor on
the left and right and record the shortest height measurement.
4. Look at the thickness of the wall to determine if the wall is 4-9/16″ or 6-9/16″ thick and check off the appropriate box.
5. Determine handing of the door.
6. Indicate the type of floor you measured from (bare plywood subfloor, tile, etc).
Door handing is very easy, yet even professionals get confused. Follow these easy steps to determine the handing of your desired door:
1. Stand at the OUTSIDE of the door, for exterior doors, this is usually outdoors.
2. Locate the hinges from the OUTSIDE of the door, if the hinges are on the right, it’s a right hand door.
3. Determine if it’s in-swing or out-swing. Will the door swing into the room (inswing) or pull towards you (out-swing)?