Measuring to replace interior doors is easy. To determine the size of door you will need, follow these simple steps:
Determine whether or not you are simply replacing the slab or the entire unit. If you are only replacing the door slab and leaving the frame and trim intact, follow these slab measuring guidelines. If you are replacing the door unit, refer to the unit measuring guidelines. Once you have some measurements, bring this sheet to your local Curtis Lumber.
Measuring for a Slab
1. Remove the door slab from the hinges for easier measuring.
2. Measure the length and width of the door slab and indicate in the appropriate spot on the diagram.
3. Measure the distance from the top of the door to the center of the lockset and mark it on the diagram. Be sure your tape lays flat and that you are sure your measurement is correct.
4. Measure from the top of the door to the top of each of the hinges and mark in the diagram.
5. Circle the hinge style and mark the size of the hinges currently on the door slab.
6. Hinge Reveal is the distance between the end of the hinge and the edge of the door slab. Measure the reveal and door thickness and record the measurements.
7. Circle the Backset Latch Style and indicate the backset distance or the distance between the edge of the door and the centerline of the doorknob. In most doors, it is 2- 3/8″ or 2-3/4″.
8. Indicate the door handing.